Knowing important facts about Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is key to quickly increasing your SEO. Follow the easy action plan at the end of this article and find yourself moving up on Google’s list.
Keep in mind this list is not all inclusive of the many factors that play into the SEO game but is a really good starting point.
1) Sign Up for Google Analytics, Google Trends and Submit a Sitemap
Go to Google Analytics and register your domain name. Google Analytics will give a report on all kinds of precious information about the traffic to your website.
Next, go to the Google Search Console and add your domain. This is one of those things required by Google that makes no sense but is necessary.
Next, go to xml.sitemaps.com and create/download a file called sitemap.xml. Upload that file to your website and go back to the Search Console to test and submit it.
You are now ready to begin traveling along your grand SEO adventure. While you are on this adventure, keep the following concepts in mind.
2) Give Your SEO Efforts Time to Kick In
It is important to have a good long standing relationship with Google. The older your domain is the more Google trust you. Think of it as a long term relationship.
3) Avoid Getting on Google’s Bad List
If you get on Google’s bad list it is very difficult to get off. The complete list of how to get banned from Google is too long for this blog. Learn more about that here.
4) Change Content on a Regular Basis to Increase SEO
Every blog post, every title change, any change at all is a phone call to Google asking it to hang out on your website. The more Google visits your website the more it will see you and the higher you will rank.
5) Conduct Keyword Research with the Google Search Bar
Start typing into Google what you think your customers will search for. You will see a lot of suggestions populate. Write these down. Now, start typing the same phrase but with an ‘a’ following. You will see a lot of options starting with ‘a’. Write those down. Then do ‘b’ and write those down. You may go through the whole alphabet this way. These are all terms you can choose to focus your content on. There is a lot more to keyword research but this will get you started.
6) Write a Blog Post for SEO
Keep your articles simple stupid. We live in a fast world with an overwhelming amount of information at our fingertips. Keep your paragraphs to nothing more than 4 sentences. Always look for a way to shorten your sentences too.
7) Create Backlinks That Bring Traffic to Your Site and Put You onto Google’s Radar
There are many online tools out there to help distribute backlinks; Hootsuite, PR.com, & Onlywire to name a couple.
- Hootsuite will help you publish post to your Social Media accounts efficiently and regularly.
- PR.com will put your Press Release on hundreds of websites and in front of journalist. One of these journalist might like your article enough to publish an article about it. The is the dream!
- Onlywire will let you publish your blog on upto 50 blogging platforms.
8) Publish Engaging Articles
Google made one big change to their algorithms in 2017. They now analyze how long users stay on your site. If your site has valuable content your visitors will stay for longer periods of time and Google will put you in their results.
9) “Meta Tags Are Dead” But Use These Anyway
Some declare meta tags dead but these still hold value. When you do come up on Google’s search results, the description tag will provide a description of your site to the user before they click through. If the description is compelling enough, your link will get clicked.
10) Accessibility and Performance Factor Into Your SEO Ranking
If you know a developer, have him or her do an audit on your website. If you want to test it yourself, there are a lot of tools online to help you determine how your site performs. Just do a Google search for “website accessibility test”.
11) Alt Tags Increase the Accessibility of Your Site and is a Good Opportunity for Keyword Stuffing
Whenever you have an image put a description of it in the alt tags. Use a keyword you are trying to rank high for. When in doubt, put a keyword on it.
Action Plan to Increase Your SEO Ranking
- Sign Up for Google Analytics, Google Trends and Submit a Sitemap
- Do your keyword research and find out which ones you will rank for.
- Sign up for a Hootsuite, PR.com or Onlywire account.
- Write just one blog post with a lot of headlines and short sentences. The first one is the hardest. Get that one done and you will accomplish anything.
- Contact me if you are feeling stuck or insecure about your first post. I’ll be encouraging, I promise.
- Publish your blog to Hootsuite and Onlywire.
- Now go write your second article and make it a full on press release. Use full paragraphs in this one and one super stunning image.
- Write another blog, then another, then another and just keep going.
- Find a developer to test your sites performance and accessibility.
- Make performance and accessibility adjustments if necessary.